The University Scholars Program presents undergraduate students an opportunity to work one-on-one with UF faculty to pursue fundamental research and scholarly activities and gain valuable insights into how new knowledge is created and developed.
Eligibility and Nominations
- Departments can nominate up to 4 students.
- Students do not have to be majoring in a department, but rather working with a faculty mentor from the department. It is the responsibility of the student to find a faculty mentor.
- Applications are submitted through the mentor’s department.
- Research is done during the summer of the current academic year and through the next academic year. Students are asked to enroll in the research course numbers (or Honors courses) every semester they are doing research. The zero credit option is not available in a semester that they are not enrolled in any other class ( happens in summer sometimes).
- Applicants must have an overall 3.0 GPA and a graduation date of no sooner than May, 2020. The USP scholars for this term cannot graduate before Spring, 2020.
Applicants must submit:
- An application, which can be found at the University Scholars Program website
- Typed research proposal
- Letter of support from their faculty mentor
All materials should be turned in to the faculty mentor’s department chair by February 1.
- Department will rank its top four applicants and submit to the college no later than February 8 (A formal cover letter from the department chair is not necessary).
- The college selects approximately 50 University Scholars, distributed across the humanities, sciences and social sciences. You will be notified of your selection in March by e-mail from the Center for Undergraduate Research. It is the responsibility of the nominating department to notify students who were not selected.
- University Scholars must follow all program rules and guidelines, set forth by the Office of the Provost.
- CLAS scholars are expected to submit a research paper for possible publication in the Journal of Undergraduate Research by the end of the spring term of the next academic year.
- Students will also be required to present their research results in a special University Scholars Symposium to be held in the spring.
- There will be a mandatory orientation on April 4, 2019.
Information / Dean’s Office Contact
For more information or to turn in nomination material, contact:
2014 Turlington Hall
PO Box 117300