The IDS major is a limited access program. In order to be considered, students must meet the following criteria:
- Have a minimum 3.0 UF GPA.
- Have the support of two faculty members from different departments who agree to serve as advisors during the program (See: For Faculty Sponsors). While faculty sponsors can be selected from different colleges, the primary sponsor must be a tenured professor with the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
- Construct a program of study that includes at least 20 credit hours of 3000-4000 level coursework taken in two or more departments. All other college degree requirements such as foreign language, general education, and electives must be met prior to graduation.
- Plan to take at least 7 (and no more than 12) credit hours of IDS 4906: Independent Research, under the direction of one or both of the faculty sponsors.
- Agree to submit a senior thesis upon completion of research. The thesis will incorporate research findings and is considered the capstone project of the program.
- Note that this major CANNOT be transferred into from another institution. You must be a College of Liberal Arts and Sciences student and have completed at least ONE semester at UF prior to applying. Interested transfer students are encouraged to call (352)-392-2264 and set up an appointment during their first semester to discuss the program and potential areas of study.