The IDS major is a limited access program. In order to be considered, students must meet the following criteria:
(1) Have a minimum 3.0 UF GPA.
(2) Have the support of two faculty members from different departments who agree to serve as advisors during the program (See: For Faculty Sponsors). While faculty sponsors can be selected from different colleges, at least one sponsor must be a faculty member with the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences..
(3) Construct a program of study that includes at least 20 credit hours of 3000-4000 level coursework taken in two or more departments. All other college degree requirements such as foreign language, general education, and electives must be met prior to graduation.
(4) Plan to take at least 7 (and no more than 12) credit hours of IDS 4906: Independent Research, under the direction of one or both of the faculty sponsors.
(5) Agree to submit a senior thesis upon completion of research. The thesis will incorporate research findings and is considered the capstone project of the program.
- Note that this major CANNOT be transferred into from another institution. You must be a College of Liberal Arts and Sciences student and have completed at least ONE semester at UF prior to applying. Interested transfer students are encouraged to call (352)-392-2264 and set up an appointment during their first semester to discuss the program and potential areas of study.
Ready to apply? Download the application.